Monday, May 08, 2006

the origin of chicken 65 - my version

The following is purely based on what a dear friend told me.Any anger/disbelief/brickbats can be directed at him ( ask me for contact details..heh heh). Anyway I found it fascinating.

NOTE: Geographical references maybe messed up.Kindly excuse.

We roamed the streets of Chennai. First gulping down some bread-omlette at this famous gaadi shop in Egmore(I think).Fingerlicking stuff. Then hopped onto the bike and roamed some more. Saw an accident. It was gonna be eventful this night. You could smell it in the air even with a cold!

Finally found our way onto Mount Road. Gaped at the Hindu office. My friend, almost nonchalantly asked me whether yours truly knew about chicken 65. I looked at him incredulously, which confirmed that I indeed had. He then proceeded to stump me with the do-you-know-why-its-called-that question.Taking my silence for a no he gave his machine some torque and we landed at this ancient place called Buhari. Its a small place, obviously revamped recently for a more modish look. He told me that the famous chicken 65 originated here and is so named because it used to be item number 65 on the retaurant's menu!! We didn't have time for much more talk as we sank our fangs into that red heaven they call 65 at Buhari. Yummy in my tummy!

Of course, there are many other stories to the name, like 65 ingredients required to make it (yeah sure), 65 days to make it ( i nearly fell off my chair when i saw this), using only chicken with 65 feathers (that one i just made up) etc...I mean as long as they keep belting it out by the plateful what does it matter.

Another day. Another discovery.

PS: Had a solid dose of petrichor today evening. Magical experience. Magical.

Book to read : for good timepass- Q and A

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

good one...bt m sure u cn do better!
Kash

Anonymous said...

Isnt it bcos they kill the chick on day65 ??? Thats what i was always told..I swear ;)

And petrichor galore here too ! out of this world .


First Anonymous

thotaster said...

that is one of the more morbid versions... lol... so no second letter today??

Anonymous said...

Second letter what?come again ?


1st A

thotaster said...

sorry...thought when you said first A last time...it was the first letter of a complex guessing game..lol...like i'm the next robert langdon or something ;-)

Anonymous said...

!!! Okay..you can have your cryptology game now ;)
Clue No 1: 'A' is not the first letter.

Anonymous said...

bjorn..i can see u were serious about the "anything that doesn't move i eat" part :-)

thotaster said...

hmmmm... B to Z 25 options for a first letter...how easy!!

Anonymous said...

Lord Thota...you've been had.

Num said...

The last anonymous would be me(raises guilty hand).Funny stuff and nowhere near enough of it.Waitin for more.
About the chicken..the version I've heard has to do with the year 1965 and 65 chilli recipes as one-up displays of machoism.

Anonymous said...

I'd make a fortune if I could bottle petrichor, agree with you completely @ 'Had a solid dose of petrichor today evening. Magical experience. Magical.'

I was once told by my chef brother, that Chicken 65 was discovered in the year 1965 by an enterprising fellow of the Sikh persuasion. This was of course, after I laughed in his face (my brother's not the gentleman of the Sikh persuasion) because he gave me the '65 ingredients' line. That one didn't fly by me... Anyone who's been to a dhabha can see flies, sweaty cooks and maybe 10 ingredients!

Love your style, Mr Thotaster, Kudos.

thotaster said...

thank you riggs. gonna add your bro's version to my evergrowing list of chicken 65 origin stories. soon the list is gonna grow to 65...lol

A.R.Malik said...

Years ago, in Sec'bad, I was hooked on the dish, and was told it's called 65 coz it costs 65 bucks. Even in my naive youth, I didn't fall for that one (though in most places there, it DID cost Rs. 65).

hamidsmail97 said...

i agree to it it was discovered by BUHARI HOTEL (Mount Road)

hamidsmail97 said...

http://www.goergo.in/?p=4507